“Even [Shakespeare] himself would spring for a ticket to Alan Brown’s Private Romeo, an earnest experiment in don’t-ask-don’t-tell drama as indebted to shirtlessness as to iambic pentameter.” — The New York Times
Set in a modern day military school, this smash hit gay adaptation of Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet features hot Broadway “War Horse” actors Matt Doyle and Seth Numrich as the star-crossed lovers. An innovative must-see gay film!
When eight male cadets are left behind at an isolated military high school, the greatest romantic drama ever written seeps out of the classroom and permeates their lives. Incorporating the original text of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, YouTube videos, and lip-synched indie rock music, Private Romeo takes us to a mysterious and tender place that only Shakespeare could have inspired.
- Deleted scenes
- Behind the scenes featurette
- Facebook clips
- Dolby 5.1 or 2.0
- Closed Captions
- NEW YORK TIMES CRITICS’ PICK!
- “A hugely adventurous and highly liberated movie that offers a fresh take on the Bard in the age of same-sex marriage… highly recommended to the adventurous spirit in an enlightened and changing world.” – Rex Reed, The New York Observer
- “A dynamite ensemble cast of young actors invests the Bard’s poetry with energetic immediacy . . . A vibrant pic.” – VARIETY
- “Romeo and Juliet has never been more provocative.” — OUTFEST
- “Come for the hunky military school boys, often shirtless, but stay for an excellent adaptation of a venerable classic and a beautiful gay love story. MUST SEE.” — Lincoln Madison, Film Queen
- “A perfectly accomplished interpretation.” — Ade Bradley, SoSoGay.com
- “One of the Best Overlooked Films of 2011” — Advocate Magazine
- WINNER — 2011 Outfest Grand Jury Award for Outstanding Actor in a Feature Film: To the entire cast of PRIVATE ROMEO “For bringing fresh life to a timeless love story and infusing each moment with a 21st century immediacy that balances naked passion with longing, and delivering it all with brilliant coherence, the Outfest 2011 Grand Jury Award for Outstanding Actor in a Feature Film goes to the entire cast of PRIVATE ROMEO.”