“Sweeping and operatic… gorgeous to look and listen to… artistically triumphant.” – New York Cool
While vacationing in an Italian summer home, happily married Matteo (Massimo Poggio) is surprised to find himself attracted to his best friend’s underwear-model son, David (real-life model Thyago Alves). But the plot thickens when David appears to share Matteo’s lust. Although she can’t quite put a finger on the problem, Matteo’s wife (Maria de Medeiros) senses something has happened to their relationship.
Stars: Maria de Medeiros (Henry and June, Shelter Me), Thyago Alves (popular model for Versace, Giorgio, Armani, and Valentino), Alessandro Gassman, Massimo Poggio.
Awards & Quotes
• OFFICIAL SELECTION: VENICE INT’L FILM FESTIVAL
• “FIVE STARS (out of five) – Engrossing journey heightened by beautiful cinematography, breathtaking score and stellar performances.” – Miami GLBT Film Festival
• “The cinematography is gorgeous, the sexual and emotional tension is thick.” —Examiner.com
• “Sweeping and operatic . . . gorgeous to look and listen to . . . artistically triumphant.” – New York Cool
• “(B+) An engrossing character study in which each of its four main players has an important role in the building drama.” – Arts Forum.CA
• “A pitch perfect and beguiling ode to the all-encompassing pull of desire . . . David’s Birthday weaves its way towards an operatic crescendo bound to be talked about for some time.” – Philadelphia Q Fest
• “One of the best films at the Venice Film Festival!” – Film TV